Monday, January 15, 2007

sunday, bloody sunday















i spent yesterday afternoon curled up on the couch in front of a fire, watching NFL playoff games. (starring in the NFC divisional play-offs: my chicago bears!)

this weekend was one of the coldest so far this winter in kc. and as i watched the game and the ice and sleet fell, there was a constant crawl across the bottom of the screen detailing all the area cancellations due to weather. one thing i noticed was all the church closings...there were a lot of them! and it made me think about sundays past and all the sunday school classes i was all but drug to, kicking and screaming...

now, it wasn't so much the sunday school classes i was opposed to as it was the dresses i was forced to don to attend them. every sunday my grandmother went to sunday school. and every sunday i was made to go with her---usually she and her sister, aunt georgia. sunday school began at 9:30am followed by church at 10:45, at the bronaugh christian church (est 1895).

one good thing---we rarely stayed for church. so at least i could be home, the dress could be off and i could be back in my t-shirt and blue jeans well before noon! but this dress thing. seriously. i HATED them. not only did my grandmother force me to wear dresses, she forced me to wear dresses that either she or aunt georgia made for me! oh yeah, homemade dresses. who am i, laura ingalls?!?

they made me polyester, long-sleeved dresses for winter and swiss polka dot sleeveless dresses for spring and summer. and heaven forbid it be easter, because then my dress would be accompanied by a hat or a bonnet! i was expected to wear these dresses with turned down, lacy socks (excuse me, stockings) and shiny black mary jane-type shoes.

this may not have been so bad, had it been 1913 and not 1975. but i never quite understood (and still don't) why you couldn't worship God while wearing pants.